This design epitomizes the Prairie style, employing legitimate details, joinery, and logic throughout. Smartly done. - Fine Homebuilding Magazine
Big Island Prairie House
This house, which was first featured in the annual Houses issue of Fine Homebuilding in 1994, and which also appears on pages 134 and 160 of Sarah Susankaâ€™s first book, The Not So Big House, is a slightly larger and more highly detailed version of her Prairie House plan #454-8. There's a wonderful story about its development. Shortly after the original version of this house appeared in a magazine (also Fine Homebuilding as it turns out), Sarah received a call from a builder in Hawaii who was working with a business partner to find a house plan to build on a beautiful piece of property on the Big Island. "I saw your Prairie House," he told Sarah, "and just knew this was the house plan we needed." Then he added, "Would you be able to come for a site visit." This question was delivered to Sarah in the middle of the long Minnesota winter. The answer was an unequivocal, and the result of that visit is the house you see here. It's redesigned in many ways, but with a similar living/dining/kitchen arrangement that is truly stunning for any site offering spectacular panoramic views. See Further Description Below in Designer Comments section.
All Photographs by Kevin Ireton This plan is also featured in our Editor's Blog, EYE ON DESIGN. Sarah Susanka, Hip Roofs, and Prairie Style DNA
Exterior Wall Framing
Plan Set Price
All plans are drawn at ¼” scale or larger and include :
- Foundation Plan: Drawn to 1/4" scale, this page shows all necessary notations and dimensions including support columns, walls and excavated and unexcavated areas.
- Exterior Elevations: A blueprint picture of all four sides showing exterior materials and measurements.
- Floor Plan(s): Detailed plans, drawn to 1/4" scale for each level showing room dimensions, wall partitions, windows, etc. as well as the location of electrical outlets and switches.
- Cross Section: A vertical cutaway view of the house from roof to foundation showing details of framing, construction, flooring and roofing.
- Interior Elevations: Detailed drawings of kitchen cabinet elevations and other elements as required.
Best Price Policy
To find out what documents you should expect with your house plans, see what's included?
How much will this cost to build?
This plan can be modified!
Also by This Designer
|5892 sq ft||4 bed||4.5 bath|
|2 story||99' 2" wide||77' 2" deep|
|2979 sq ft||3 bed||2.5 bath|
|2 story||75' wide||90' deep|
|6734 sq ft||5 bed||4 bath|
|2 story||123' wide||91' deep|
|2440 sq ft||3 bed||2.5 bath|
|3 story||37' wide||30' deep|
|3062 sq ft||4 bed||3 bath|
|2 story||71' wide||55' deep|
|2464 sq ft||3 bed||2.5 bath|
|2 story||36' wide||82' deep|
|2100 sq ft||3 bed||2.5 bath|
|2 story||54' wide||30' deep|
|3476 sq ft||3 bed||2.5 bath|
|2 story||87' wide||85' deep|
|2660 sq ft||3 bed||2.5 bath|
|2 story||39' wide||54' deep|